6.02.2014

Ryan Update (2 years old and 8 months)

Some big things have been going on in Ryan's life these days.
  • In anticipation of the little sister arriving, we got back out the "big-boy" bed and tried it in his room.  When we got it out before, I put it in with Tate and Blake and Ryan wouldn't sleep in it.  Maybe too much all at once.  He was happy to sleep in his own bed, in his own room.  He is a "move-all-over-the-place" sleeper like Tate.  The progression of in the bed, to halfway out, to sleeping happily on the rug made me laugh.  I remembered a little trick using a pool noodle (slipped under the fitted sheet), to provide a little buffer to keep kids from falling out of the bed.  Worked like a charm.
  • After about a month of being a happy "big-boy-bed" sleeper in his own room, we tried again moving him in with his brothers.  It hasn't come without some adjustments, but the 3 Musketeers are all doing great sharing a room.  They are happy not to have to share with a sister....still on the girls are yucky kick.
  • Ryan climbs like a professional Mt. Climber.  "By myself" he tells me as I try to help him.
  • To the tippy top of any play equipment (and bunkbeds) he can get at.  He is a natural...no fear and does it all himself.  No broken bones yet.
  • During Spring Break we took the boys to a tubes and tunnels place that also had miniature golf.  Ryan wants to be just like the big boys and played right along with them.
  • He's a crafty one!  Loves to paint and color.  We are still working on coloring etiquette with him.  "We color on paper.  Not on the couch or walls or refrigerator or on our bodies or on our clothes.  Color on paper!"
 
  • Is finding out there are some perks to having two brothers in school in the afternoon and a pregnant mommy who loves ice cream.
  • Has a sweet tooth (wonder where he gets that?!).  Loves to help me in the kitchen and is always more then happy to help taste whatever we're making.  

  • Ryan is a crack up.  He seriously makes us all laugh everyday!  He loves to do silly things and makes the funniest faces.  Along with that sweet smile is quiet a mischievous side too.  He is constantly pushing the boundaries and seeing what he can get away with.  

  • Loves being outside.  He is potty training himself (well, I've taken a bigger role now).  At first, he kept wanting to go to the potty like Tate and Blake.  I wasn't really up for potty training yet.  I kept thinking I'd wait for the summer.  Now with a new baby coming, not having to change two kids diapers is appealing.  So, we got out the undies and Ryan's been doing great.  Mainly, because he loves peeing outside.  He'll drop his pants wherever he is to take care of business.  It is usually in a bush or behind a tree and I'm kinda happy about it.  It is just one less mess I have to clean-up inside.  John doesn't love the peeing outside, but I think hey, he's a boy!  Might as well enjoy the advantages that come with that.
  • Love spinning at the park and swinging.  If he isn't climbing something, he wants to swing!
  • Is my bedtime buddy.  Since Ryan is still napping in the afternoon, he gets to stay up later then Tate and Blake.  He is my little side-kick in the evening and is sweet to bring me snacks to "share" he says.
  • Good boy coloring on paper.
  •  Getting bigger everyday and loves to pose for the camera.
  • Favorite foods include yogurt smoothies, toast, fish crackers, chocolate milk, cookies, otterpops, trailmix.  Such a well-balanced diet.
  • Wants to get himself dressed.  "By myself."
  • Is part fish.  Would take multiple baths a day if I'd let him.
  • Knows how to work a squirt gun and soak his brothers.
  • Likes to ride Blake's scooter and jump on the trampoline if someone will jump with him.
  • Helps water our flowers and garden.
  • Likes to check the bee traps to see how many bees we've caught.
  • Pretends to talk on the phone to grandma.
  • Says "pretty" in place of please.  I think he's a little lazy and shortens "pretty please" to just pretty when he really wants something!
  • Seems to be okay with the idea of having a sister!


1 comment:

Bethany said...

WOW!! WOW!! He is looking so grown up! Glad the three are getting along well in the room. That is brave of you. I bet they'll have so many fun memories together.