1.10.2012

Christmas at Grandma's

When I was growing up we opened up stockings and presents at our house Christmas morning, had a late breakfast and then packed up and headed over to my grandma's (dad's mom) house on Whidbey Island.  It was so fun to get to ride the ferry over and then we'd open presents over there with my dad's side of the family--Aunt Robin, Uncle Mark and Aunt Wendy and her family.  I love traditions.  I have so many good memories of those Christmas's.  Things have changed some since grandma is no longer with us, and I have a family of my own.  Even though it isn't exactly the same, I love that some of the traditions are still continuing on and now my boys get to do the same thing-Christmas at their house in the morning and then go to grandma's for the rest of the day.  My boys get just as excited to go to grandma and grandpa's as me and my brothers and sisters did to go to our grandma's on Christmas. 
They boys took short naps on the drive over and we're still a little "overly tired and grumpy" when we got there.  Good thing presents awaited them and they didn't have to be sad anymore!
Pirate Tate-complete with pirate hat, sword, and treasure boxes full of gold/chocolate coins!
Ryan woke up for the afternoon:) and loved his new hat made by Auntie Lauren.
\
More cuddling with grandma while we opened presents.
Usually, we have a birthday dinner and play games my dad comes up with in the evening.  Since it was a year of change, things weren't exactly the way Karrie and I envisioned.  I guess part of growing up is learning to deal with that change and being flexible.  We're still working on that:)
One of the highlights of the day is the games my dad plans for us.  Last year he didn't do any, so we made sure he took some of his "retirement time" to plan some good ones for this year!  He did not disappoint.  We played a series of Minute-to-Win-it type games.  They were really fun.
John impressed us with him ping-pong ball bouncing into wobbly cups skills.
Lauren did pretty well tossing and catching groups of pencils (piles of 4, 5 . . . onto I think 12 pencils), without dropping any.  She did good, but I totally dominated that game! 
It was a fun evening to end a long day. 
Thanks dad for being so creative!

No comments: