11.01.2010

Happy Halloween

We've had some pretty windy and rainy weather the past couple weeks. I think that added a nice wind-blown look to our spider webs on the porch. We decided to wait until the week of Halloween before carving our pumpkins. Usually, we do it early and keep them lit on the porch. But, with our other big pumpkin getting smashed, we opted to hold off on giving the teenagers something else to smash! Tate had a great time carving the pumpkins with John while I was at school. Tate loves lining the pumpkins up on the porch. He rearranges them nightly. When we go on walks, Tate also likes to redecorate our neighbors porches with decorations and plug in the pumpkins. I think Tate's favorite decoration this year has been skeletons. Not sure why, but every time we'd come across a skeleton he'd point it out and want to get close to it.I knew just what Tate was going to be for Halloween. If you know Tate, you know he loves his Elmo! I found this costume on Craigslist for $7 and knew it was meant to be. Since I still get to pick out the kiddos costumes, I thought I'd try to coordinate them. I went through all the Sesame Street characters trying to figure out who Blake should be. Cookie Monster was the obvious choice. The hardest part of Blake's costume was trying to find a plain blue sweatshirt and sweatpants. Everything these days has prints all over it. Leave it to Walmart to have just what I need for a super reasonable price. I painted some Styrofoam balls for the eyes and used felt for the cookies. I still wanted to be able to use the clothes when Halloween was over, so I just used Velcro and safety pins to attach the eyes and cookies. They came right off without leaving any marks. We did a little trick-or-treating. John was really excited to take Tate around. Tate was a pretty slow goer. He was way more interested in checking out everyone else dressed up then getting lots of candy.
Blake and I hung out in the van waiting for the boys to finish a loop in the neighborhood. Karrie suggested I add more cookies to his outfit, so I put a few more on.
This is pretty much how Tate went to Trunk-or-Treat and Trick-or-Treating. I knew the hood part of the costume might be an issue, and it was. Tate didn't want it on at all. I tried to get him to at least put it up when he was at peoples doors so they knew who he was (not just some furry red creature).
Blake has got quite a reach. We had done the cake walk at our ward activity and I had just sat down to eat the cupcake and Blake totally grabbed it and got a good handful of frosting. Since I was no longer interested in the cupcake, I let him go for it. I figured it was practice for his birthday coming up. He loved it! Too bad the orange frosting had some potent food coloring in it-our hands were orange for the next day. Right as we were getting ready to leave the ward activity, Tate's girlfriends showed up. He was so excited to show them the creepy van. One of the ward members did an awesome job decorating the back of their car. There was scary music and a Frankenstein that moved and lite up and their teenage boy was dressed up as "death." That could explain why Tate woke up in the middle of the night crying because 'the monsters were coming.' Anyways, these are the Laurels that I teach on Sundays. They also come over for lunch sometimes, and Tate loves it.

We did manage to get this taken before the night was over. If you asked Tate what everyone in the family was going to be he would say, "Blake be cookie monster, mom be big-bird, dad be Oscar (appropriate) and me Elmo!" Too bad Tate's parents/mom didn't have that much time or creativity to pull off family costumes. Maybe next year.

No comments: