Who said date nights have to just be with guys?!
There is this candy/baking supply shop ("Dawn's") just down the hill from my parents that Karrie and I have come to love. The owner, Dawn, sells really good chocolate for dipping and we prefer it when making cake pops.
So when I saw this Living Social deal to take one of her cookie decorating classes for half price-Karrie and I were quick to buy one and make it a date!
We were so excited to learn how they make those cool looking cookies we see everywhere.
Dawn started off teaching us the basic techniques for making royal icing and how to do "Flow work."
Then Heather, below, took over and taught us some other tricks for decorating.
Before we could get too serious decorating, Karrie needed some dinner since she had just come from work, then the gym and the class went from 6-9pm. You can't concentrate on an empty stomach! I think she's converted to the terryaki place next door. It was delicious (she shared). . . almost as good as the cookies.

We learned how to do lots of cool designs starting with just dots.
We practiced making hearts, spiderwebs, bunnies, butterflies, flowers, different swirls, holly, and ducks-all from dots.
They had all these fun shaped cookies to practice on . . . and taste:)
We were surprised that it really took three hours to do a dozen cookies!
I guess there was some down-time listening to instruction and then practicing-but it definitely was a slow process just learning how. Karrie and I had a great time talking with the other four people in the class and seeing how creative everyone was decorating. I wish we would have bought another deal to do it again!
The finished cookies.
Some of Karrie's best designs . . . the turtle was a favorite!
Some of my favorites . . . the turtle for Tate was my favorite.
A super fun date night!







3 comments:
How fun!! You two rock!!
Best date I've had in awhile. :)
YEA! So.. Did Tate like his turtle?
Post a Comment