8.11.2011

A sad. Sad. Unexpected evening.

Car accidents.  Sad, unexpected and always a huge inconvenience.
John was involved in a car accident a couple nights ago.
Not his fault (thank goodness).
He is surviving.
My car on the other hand . . .
not doing so well.
I got my Camry right after I graduated from college.  Yikes!  I guess that's been almost 10 years ago now.  It has been such a great car.  I didn't think it would go out like this. 
It is definitely more sad to me then John. 
It feels like losing a part of our family. Sigh. 
No more "blue car" as Tate called it. 
John was stopped along with a big, red truck (with a big hitch on it), waiting for a car in front of them to turn left when this car (picture below) plowed right into John, pushing John into the big red truck whose hitch did a number on the Camry's front end.   
Not paying attention, on the phone!
Everyone was fine-thankfully.  A bit shook up, but fine.  Everyone except the cars that is. 
Anyways, it was an unexpected phone call I got from John telling me he'd been in an accident. 
Tate was pretty excited to see the police car and all the lights.
"Do you think the police man will let us get in his car?"  Tate kept asking.
I love a Toyota.  The rear bumper just had some scratches to it.  Well made cars they are!  Although it probably had some issues underneath everyone kept saying.
Well, this definitely wasn't the way I thought I'd be saying goodbye to the blue car.  It doesn't even look that bad from this picture, but the nice insurance people told us it is a total loss.  "Now you get to go car shopping!"  Um, are we supposed to be excited about that?!  John and I had just talked about how we need this car to last at least a couple more years (I'm sure it would have even having over 200,000 miles on it!).  A new car was definitely not in the plans/budget for this year.  A huge inconvenience. 
Luckily, we can manage being a one car family for a while. 
Looking on the bright side:
After a trip to urgent care.  Some pain medications.  Me doing all the heavy lifting, even while I'm 7 months pregnant.  John will be fine.  And I will probably survive too.
There is lots more room in our driveway.
We get a new carseat.
Less money for insurance.
We will eventually get another car which will makes Tate's day!
A teaching opportunity for Tate about why we always wear our seat belts.
The car was in my name . . . so the check for the value of the car is coming to me:)

2 comments:

Brenda Sue said...

I am SO glad to hear that John is ok! Accidents are no fun! Here's to wishing for a speedy recovery!

Karrie Shepro said...

Ahh, I love that the check is coming in your name. Lasik!