7.13.2010

The Ball Game

John and I used to like going to the Mariners games every now and then during the season, but since kids we haven't ventured out to any games. Mainly because I just think it would be torturous! I just would never imagine Tate sitting still long enough to get any enjoyment out of a baseball game. Not to mention it is close to an hour drive to the stadium, expensive to park, pay for the tickets, John will think we need to get garlic fries, etc. etc. No thanks, I'd rather just enjoy the game from the comforts of our house. Correction: John would be happy watching the game and I'd rather go shopping. Well, to our good fortune, Karrie's job is in the marketing department of ING/Sharebuilder and they just partnered with the Mariners. That means Karrie has a really cool job and got to plan this entire night/dinner with the Mariners for the company and families last Thursday night! How could we pass up a chance to go to the game for free and get to wear such cool matching shirts:)

I just have to say again how lucky we are to live close to family. They are never allowed to move away! One of the reasons I was feeling up to this venture was I knew I would have reinforcements there (grandma, grandpa, Uncle Andrew and Aunt Karrie). Tate couldn't wait to get there to see Auntie Karrie. He was pretty much her shadow during the dinner part probably preventing her somewhat from doing her job, but he was the keeper of her keys.

We tried to lure him away with grandmas soda, but he just took it and ran (he loves himself some soda!) Summer finally hit the Seattle area and this night was one of the hottest-it was well into the 90's and us "Seattlites" just melt away in that kind of weather! Poor Blake was not loving the heat at all! I told Karrie she needs to work on some shade for next year. Luckily it was Ken Griffey Jr. Hat give-away night so we had hats to try and create some relief from the heat. Tate and I were excited that there was a "nice lady" as Tate called her doing some face and leg painting. Blake was the first to try it out and got a cool flaming baseball on his leg. Once Tate saw other people getting it done he thought it would be okay to get a Mariners player on his leg. I went with the baseball on my cheek.
*Notice the fine artwork on Blake's leg. At this point in the evening, the heat was the biggest struggle. It was tough for Tate when Karrie had to leave to escort the President of the Company on the field for the first pitch and he couldn't go. We had to wander around looking for her before Tate would go to his seat. We were towards the back on the 100 level and the first thing Tate did was walk straight down to the very first row and try to get on the field. He was in awe of what was going on on the field. Then we headed back to our seats and the game got under way. We were playing the Yankees and all I remember were the boos when A-Rod was up to bat. Blake went to sleep, Tate sat with Grandma for a few minutes, walked around the stadium and up all the stairs with Karrie, lost it when he got back. We made it to the third inning which was more than I thought we'd do. Once we got the stroller, purses, and screaming children under control , we were on our way to the nearest exit. John stayed with Karrie and Andrew for the rest of the game while I took the kiddos, with the grandparents, back to thier house for the night. John must be married to an incredibly patient and loving wife to let him stay at the game while she managed the kids the rest of the evening and next day. Lucky guy!
The evening finally cooled down and the walk back to the car was very pleasant. Tate calmed down as he listened and watched for the trains and made "ma" and "pa" swing him.
*A shout out to my dad who looks amazing these days!!!*

He has lost 65 pounds so far (he is my inspiration:))
Blake was so happy to be back in the air-conditioned car!
He laughed and played the whole way home. I'm happy we had the chance to go to the game as a family. It probably would have been easier to get a babysitter. But, I keep telling John, "we're a family! We need to do things together. Even if that means we don't get to stay the entire time, and Tate and Blake probably won't remember it. We will. And we have family to help us-we won't always have that." I don't know that we'll be running out and buying more tickets anytime soon, but I was glad we got to go and have fun together.

2 comments:

Karen said...

My kind of baseball!! - Dinner by ING at the stadium for free, free tickets, cute guys, and home early!

Karrie Shepro said...

How many brownies did Tater have!?! Stinker ate the last bite of mine. Thanks for bringing out the boys it was a lot of fun.