4.29.2010

Fun with Fondant

I got to plan a baby shower for a new family in our ward and they also happen to live just down the street from us. They are a great family who have a little boy almost exactly the same age as Tate and they just had a little girl a couple months ago. I was really excited to be able to help put this together. I found this idea online for, what I thought, was a really cool cake. I really haven't worked with fondant much, but I watch the Food Network all the time, so I figured I could do this. The cake I made was smaller than the example I found, so I made some changes . . .
and was really happy with the way it turned out. The fondant wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be to work with. John was the muscle that rolled it out- which was the hardest part. It was a team effort and we had a really fun time working on it.

I definitely have a greater appreciation for cake decorators and I understand why they charge so much for specialty cakes.
Tate was my helper as always. He never turns down a bowl that needs a lickin'.

Blake was a good boy and played while we worked:)The shower was a lot of fun-thanks to everyone who helped out!

8 comments:

Karen said...

Too cute!! So how did it taste? and how about the fondant? How long did it take you to get it finished? The twinkle in Tate's eyes was worth making the frosting for! He does love sweet stuff. The rest of the food looked great too. I signed up to do a Polynesian wedding on July 31, so I'll put you to work :)

Unknown said...

Oh my, that cake is SO CUTE! Great job!

Carla and crew said...

great job--the whoe table loos terrific! I'm going to try a cake for Aubrey that looks like her driver's permit! Wish me luck!

Linda Westover said...

So creative! Fondant really is kind of fun to work with.

Karrie Shepro said...

I'm sure Tate was a big "help". I'll make a cake like that for your next baby shower ;)

Jessica Waters said...

That is the CUTEST cake!

April Bishop said...

I'm totally copying this idea... I love it. Great job!

Carrie said...

Wow! That is the cutest cake I've ever seen! Love it! You are one talented lady!
I was so happy to discover your comment the other day!...Ellie really does keep me on my toes! And Oh, how I would LOOOOVVVEEEEE to take your family pictures! It would be an honor! Let's make it happen!