3.11.2009

Tragedy

Its been a week now since tragedy struck and it has taken me this long to get over before I could write this without bringing tears to my eyes. It all started last week when John and I decided to go to Fred Meyer to get some groceries. Of course we took Tate along and his blanket. Now, if you don't know Tate you don't know how important his blanket is. We got this small yellow blanket as a gift and Tate loves it! He's not into binkies anymore, but definitely into the blanket. When it's time for him to go to sleep he must have the blanket in hand and then the figure in the mouth, eye closed. Just like that. The magic blanket.

John and I realized we didn't have a back-up in case something were to happen to blankie. Unfortunately, we weren't able to track down where the original blanket was purchased. So, Karrie and I shopped around and found one close to the original-but, Tate knew better. You could hold up all the "impostor" blankets and his blanket, and he would always choose his blanket. Back to Fred Meyer, blanket was with Tate in the cart and at some point Tate was still in the cart, but no blanket. It was like someone had punched me! No blanket? Where did it go? John took off on a mission to re-trace our steps. We had only been there maybe 10 minutes and hadn't gone that far, but no luck. The blanket was not to be found. We were there for at least another 40 minutes checking with the staff and going back to where we last saw the blanket. Gone. So, so, so sad. I think John and I were more distrot over the loss than Tate. His first baby blanket-gone. Just like that. We had it one minute and then gone the next. Then the reality sunk in-what are we going to do to get him to bed?! I think we got off a bit lucky-we ran to a store to get another similar blanket and that seemed to do the trick getting him down. Since then, I bought some of the fabric and grandma has replicated the blanket and Tate seems just as happy to have the new blanket. John and I are still a bit sad about the loss and disgusted that someone would take a baby blanket! New blankie in hand. Life is good again.

Having fun with dad while I was at school.

2 comments:

Juliann said...

Claire lost her baby "Laura" summer of 2007. It was devastating. It was a gift so I had NO IDEA where it came from. I'm glad you were able to replicate it.

Karen said...

Not only did we duplicate it, but we now have three...one permanently at home, one at Grandma's, and one that goes back and forth! Amazing what you can do with a half a yard of fabric!