2.03.2011

Swimming Time

Tate's first swimming lessons were last summer for a month.  It was great fun because it was a class made up of him and his friends.  It was all the boys first time with lessons and they were all pretty clingy at first (especially Tate).  We only had lessons once a week, so a total of 4 lessons, just got Tate to the point of feeling comfortable and then they stopped.  I was really excited when I was subbing at Kent Meridian High School and noticed they had a pool.  Even better still, they taught swimming lessons for little kids (and the price was definitely right!).  This time around we didn't get all his friends to join the fun, but we sure are glad Spencer decided to sign-up.  Everything is always more fun with friends.  The mom's took the boys the first month and then thought we'd share the fun with the dad's.
 John absolutely loves taking Tate to swim lessons.  They have a great time together and Tate is always so excited to tell me all about what he did at class.
 I think Tate is still a little nervous when he first gets in the pool, but I don't think it takes him long to get his confidence and start loosening the death grip around John's neck.  Tate loves jumping in.  I think last week John said when Tate jumped he "helped" him go under the water a little bit.  Considering that didn't send Tate jumping right out of the pool, I think progress is being made.

 Swimming lessons is all Tate talks about when he takes a bath.  He practices his reaching and pulling and blowing bubbles.  Thinking back on those first lessons when I could barely get Tate to kick his legs or put his chin in the water, he really is doing great and becoming a little fishy. 
 Nothing like having Spencer jumping in right next to you, to make you do it too (gotta love peer pressure:)).

I love that John gets to have this special time with Tate each week, and I love the chance I get to have with Mr. Blake all by myself.  I think Blake sighs a big sigh of relief when Tate leaves because it means he gets free access to all the toys without big brother pushing him around.  It is a win-win situation for both brothers and the mom and dad.
Toys . . . all mine!

2 comments:

Karrie Shepro said...

Glad the swimming trunks worked and he wears them. Looks like fun.

Karen said...

look at those matching .... chins!!