1.20.2011

Blake Update

 Even though I am still in somewhat denial that Blake is one, I will stop complaining about how quickly the time goes by and just try to enjoy this time I have with them while they are still kinda little (I guess my boys never started out that little)!  As you can tell Blake is super excited to be one.  He has lots to be excited about now that he can crawl.  It took him a while to get it, but now that he does, he has access to all the toys.  We've been talking with Tate for a long time about how great it will be when Blake can crawl and walk to really play with Tate.  Now that that time is here, Tate definitely isn't too excited about having to share toys (or anything for that matter with Blake).
 Blake loves making noises.  Grunts really.  Tate hates it, so he responds in a similar way showing his frustration.  Blake thinks Tate is talking to him/playing with him and loves it.  It is funny to hear those two go back and forth.  Funny that is until it becomes like a shouting match and then the referee has to come out and break it up.
To the doctor we went for his 1-year check up.  You may not guess by looking at him, but Blake has slowed down in the growing department which I am happy about because this kiddo is getting too heavy to carry.  He weighed in at 23 pounds, 11 oz. (63%).  Still above average for height (hoping he'll get his dad's "tall-genes") 30.25" (65%).  I worry a little if we ever have a girl that she'll get a above average head size like Tate and Blake have.  Blake's head size is in the 83% (18.75").  Tonight Blake had on Tate's cowboy hat from the dentist and it totally fit!  John was telling Tate that Blake has a big head like him.  Tate was saying something about mom's head, when John replied (I was standing right next to him waiting to hear this), "mom has an average size head. . .  at least I think that's the right answer."  Um, you better believe that's the right answer.  What woman wants to hear she has a big head-from anyone.  Especially not her husband:)
 I think this is such a funny face Blake was making.  He's like a deer in the headlights. 
 Even though we are going through some growing pains with these boys, Blake sure does love Tate.  Tate is responding better to Blake's bonks, hair pulling, and playing with what Tate feels like are all HIS toys.  I love it when Tate runs around the house carrying his balloons and Blake just laughs and laughs.  They are going to be best buddies (at least that's what I keep telling Tate--hoping a little brainwashing will work:)).
 One of Blake's favorite things to do is jump in the bed.  I guess this is where he learned it.  Blake can get jumping so high I'm worried he'll propel himself out of the crib!  Hopefully he follows Tate's lead and holds on tight.
I finally got Tate's camera from him and uploaded the pictures he's taken.  Yep, our almost 3-year old got my old digital camera and loves taking pictures.  It's probably a little too expensive of a toy for Tate, but that's where we've failed again as parents and let him keep it instead of just keeping it out of his reach.  We do that too much-give in to those big blue eyes.  I'm sure when he takes award winning photos, I won't feel so much like hes got us wrapped around his finger.

This picture is probably a couple months old.  I must have snuck Blake in Tate's bed while I was changing Tate.  Tate certainly wouldn't stand for Blake in his bed now.  John is already scoping out bunkbeds for these two.
Boring toys I guess
I remember when I took this picture--at least 4 or 5 months ago.  I had put Blake down to play while I made dinner or worked on something and I looked over a few minutes later and he had totally fallen asleep!  I couldn't believe it.  My kids just don't ever fall asleep in random places.  Sigh.  It was really sweet. 

Blake Trivia:
*Loves being outside.  Wishing we could get some more sunshine around here so we weren't so house-bound!
*Crawls to every door-stopper and loves to bang on them.
*He is getting picky with what he likes to eat.  He doesn't like baby food.  At all.  He wants to be able to pick up his food.  His favorite breakfast food is nutrigrain bars which he makes a huge mess eating.  Eating time requires a complete wipedown, if not a bath.
*Takes two naps (hooray!) during the day and is in bed by 7pm most nights. 
*Still gets up in the middle of the night for help getting his binkie (thumbs down).
*Has the sweetest smile around!

2 comments:

April Bishop said...

Can't believe he's one! Cute pictures of him though. I love your little age labels... Great idea!

Jen and Jared said...

Ha ha! Your boys sound just like ours when it comes to the younger one now crawling and the older one hating it 'cause they get into everything. It's definitely started a lot of sharing conversations. Too funny. It's so great to see their emerging friendship bloom through all that chaos.