9.18.2010

Summer Wrap-Up

It seems like this year we never really got a summer. School ended and it was still cold and rainy. When the sun finally arrived everyone was packing backpacks getting ready to go back to school. It was a bit weird for me not getting ready for school-heck, I didn't even know exactly when it started. That is a first in about 6 years of my life! Instead of all the back-to-school/teaching nightmares and long meetings at school, I continued to enjoy being with my boys. I just got all my papers in for subbing in the district where we live. I am definitely looking forward to being home more full-time these days, I also am excited to still get in the occasional classroom.

Fall is here, and I wanted to get one last post wrapping up our summer adventures this year.

Our ward does an annual Milk Carton Derby and this year I had a meeting so I wasn't able to go. John went back and forth about going since it would just be him and the kiddos. By himself. At the park. He wasn't sure he was feeling that adventurous. I reminded him how capable he is . . . and how much the kids LOVE the park. He did it. No injuries, no running away (Tate or John), just a good time with good food! Tate and Blake have a "Super Dad!"


I think we have been to a record number of fairs this year (not that I'm complaining it has been great). Can't beat a day of fun with Grandma and Auntie Karrie at the Evergreen State Fair. I certainly won't pass up an outing with extra helpers. Tate had a great time as usual running around and checking out all the animals and fun activities. Wanting to take the chickens home.
Blake semi-enjoyed the fair. He was not as entertained by the animals and preferred being carried most of the time.

You know we played hard when Tate falls asleep before we can even leave the fair.
I do love a quiet drive home.

John enjoyed spending the summer keeping our yard in tip-top-shape! If I were in charge we'd probably have brown grass, but it would be cut because I don't mind mowing the lawn. But, I don't have to worry about that stuff because John prefers being in charge of all that and I'm happy (most of the time:)) to let him do it all. We attempted a garden again. Not a huge success. I'm pretty sure we've helped keep the bunnies in the area nice and fat this summer and the slugs. We got some netting up to help keep the critters out, but I think our efforts were a little too late. We have managed to get strawberries, carrots and some beans. I don't know how people, like my mom, do it. I go to my moms and it is like a garden heaven-huge plants everywhere with vegetables, berries and fruit on them! Seeing that just makes me feel like the green thumb gene must skip a generation.The bubble gun. Tate's favorite thing to make a mess with!

2 comments:

April Bishop said...

Your mom is an amazing gardener. If you want to feel better about yours, come see ours... We just picked our first zucchini and we almost have our first ripe tomato. It's not us - it's the crummy weather this summer! That's what I keep telling myself anyway.
Your boys are super cute! But you probably don't need me to tell you that! :)

Linda Westover said...

Remember,too, that it took your very talented mother many years to develop her gardening skills, as well as the fabulous grow boxes, etc.
Just keep at it; you will get better at it, too.