I had been talking with my friend and neighbor about doing another race. Ya know, something that would challenge us and something we could do for ourselves. We did a 5k and were looking for something more . . . Karrie planted the seed about doing a sprint triathlon. We decided that that was just the goal for us to work toward. We got our calendars and found a triathlon that worked with our schedules and gave us enough time to kick our butts in gear and train. We decided on the Lake Sammamish Triathlon on Aug. 28th. We were so pumped about doing this and proving to ourselves (and not-so-sure that we could do it-husbands), that we could do this.
It was so great to have a goal in sight to make workout happen, that normally wouldn't, and just be motivated to reach a goal. Paige and I were doing so great training together and then she hurt her foot. Total bummer! I felt so bad. She had worked so hard and then couldn't do it. That's why we are doing it again next year for sure.
Just waiting for the race to start. It was supposed to start at 7am which meant I was up at about 4:30am, so I could get there a little early and get everything set-up. It was early, but I couldn't really sleep anyway.
My mom and Andrew came to cheer me on. I told them no pictures during the race-I knew it wasn't going to be pretty; and it really wasn't. Pictures afterward, once I had caught my breath, just to document that I actually did it!


The race actually went better then I expected. I hadn't ever done one before so I set a goal of under 2 hours (seemed resonable for me). After I got off my bike and started running I thought for sure it would take me another hour just to run, but I was happy with the results.
Here they are, just so I'll remember for next time what I have to beat (and for all you really fast people out there who can feel better knowing you would have beat me:).
Swim (1/4 mile)- 9min. 23 sec.
Bike (14.6 miles)- 56 min. 28 sec.
Run (3.4 miles)-35 min. 30 sec.
Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes
I was really surprised to come home and find this hanging on the door.
*A special thanks to: Karrie for letting me borrow her bike and ask her lots of questions about what the race would be like. John for being so supportive and watching the kiddos while I would go running or biking. Paige for being the best training partner. Friends and family for cheering me on!
Goal. Accomplished. Totally worth it.
2 comments:
Great job! I've always wanted to do a triathalon and never have. Good for you! Way to stick with it, even once your training partner got hurt
Congrats, LeAnn! I've always wanted to get into Tris but the swimming part is a little intimidating to me. What a huge accomplishment!
Post a Comment