*Disclaimer: there are a lot of pictures b/c I haven't figured out the slide show feature and really, Mr. Tate is so cute, you have to see lots of him:)*
Our first trip to the zoo. John and I decided this past weekend would be a great time to go to the zoo since the weather has been so nice. Us and most of the Seattle area decided it would be a good day to go. Here's how our first experience at the zoo went. Tate in stroller going along our way-ah, that only lasted until lunch-our first stop.
By the time we made it through traffic, stood in line to get tickets, it was time to feed the animals (Tate and John). We found a nice log by the kangaroos to have a little bit to eat.
Stomachs full, we were on our way. Hum, so many ways to go, which animals to see first?
How about the "Quiet Zone" to see the night animals. Sounded like a good idea when we went in. That was probably the fastest I've ever been through that exhibit. Tate didn't quite understand what the "quiet zone" meant. And there were lots of people, so we saw all the bats and other creepy crawlers on a quick walk through.
On to another crowded area to see turtles, snakes, alligators.
A ball! One of Tate's favorite things. This was near the elephant exhibit. I guess the elephants play with toys like this ball. Tate liked it so much, he thought it needed some kisses. I'm sure Tate's the only little kid to do that and all that dirt along the bottom of the ball must provide some good minerals (zoo = not so sanitary toys).
The hippos were our favorite! This is the first time I've been to the zoo and actually seen the hippos out of the water. Usually they are in that pond with only their ears poking out. It really is a site to see these massive beasts. The one hippo in the front walked around for a minute and then laid down the one in the back. I'm surprised the ground didn't shake:)
This is Tate's new face-a squint. He does it all the time-it seems like a natural response to being in the sunshine or having the wind blow, but it is his response to anything. He just looks at you with that face.
Tate always has time to stop and smell the flowers.
Who needs to see more animals when there are construction cones to play with?!
Our last stop was the family farm. Tate really liked the goats-especially poking his fingers through the gates. He was quick at pulling his fingers back before the goat could get a taste.
Alligators are not so scary when you can touch them.
You know you've had a good time at the zoo, when it is a quite ride home.
Top 10 things I learned from our first trip to the zoo:
1. The stroller is not really for the baby to ride in. Of course not, he'll insist he needs to walk or be held the entire time.
2. Bring it anyway because the stroller is great to hold all the gear-jackets, food, purse, camera.
2. Bring it anyway because the stroller is great to hold all the gear-jackets, food, purse, camera.
3. It is essential to bring the dad to carry the baby.
4. Get to the zoo before noon to beat the lines.
5. Don't expect to get that close to the animals. Zoo etiquette needs to be enforced-seriously, take a look at the animals and then back away so others can!
6. Go in the "off" season to avoid unbelievable summer rates ($16.50 for one person-yikes).
7. Snacks can prevent a melt-down. Glad I came prepared when I saw and heard the many other melt-downs happening.
8. According to John, going to the zoo with your first born makes his dreams come true (oh, so sweet my husband is).
9. Expect to get your heels run over when the dad's driving the stroller.
10. Who cares if the flowers and trees and birds flying by (which you could see at home) are more interesting than the animals which you've come to see. It's just fun to be out with your family!
7 comments:
Fun times. I really like your post. Very cute. The zoo is the best!
Love the zoo. Too bad I couldn't make it. Next time and we'll stop and check out that burger place!
Hey - me again just leaving another comment.
Maybe you could put a picture up of my new car since I don't have a blog.
Q. Why are giraffes so slow to apologize?
A. It takes them a long time to swallow their pride.
I agree with taking a stroller just to carry stuff. They never are willing to ride when you want them to.
I've been dying to take Chase to the zoo, and now I'm even more convinced I need to just do it. Although, he's not walking yet, so, hmmm....But thanks for all the great zoo trip tips. I will definitely remember them! Also, Tate is so cute!!
Post a Comment